Thursday, June 24, 2010

Sideways Socks

Traditionally socks are knit in a tube either from the cuff down or toe up.  Some people were clever enough to turn tradition on its head and figure out how to knit a sock from side to side; i.e. vertical striping on socks.  Intriguing.  Since this is sock month, I thought I would challenge myself by trying something new (to me).


Pattern: Sidewinders: a Perpensockular Pattern available for free on NonaKnits.

Yarn: Twinkle Toes by Chameleon Colorworks
50% Merino, 50% Tencel
1 skein (approx 320 yards) in colorway Ophelia

Needle size: US 2


The pattern is available as a sequence of blog entries complete with photos and bonus motivational pep talks.  It's comprehensive and well written (thanks, Nona!). I would suggest copy/pasting into a word processing document to make printing a heck of a lot easier.  Unless you like knitting in front of a computer.

I usually don't bother doing a gauge swatch for socks since I can just try'em on as I go and modify as needed (most sock patterns come in a limited range of sizes anyway so modifications are usually needed for a customized fit).  But this sock comes in 12! sizes and is knit in one piece flat.  And then grafted together in the back like a corset for your calves/ankles/feet.  So in this case, gauge does matter.

RS view: cuff is to the left/ toes to the right

Actually, the whole thing kind of reminds me of a flying squirrel.

WS view: a flying squirrel with a hoodie


The hoodie is where the toes go.

Grafting's a pain in the ass.  When done properly, it can be like knitting magic (no seam).  When done improperly, it just looks like a hot mess.   Trouble is, that it gets so rhythmic (knit off, purl on, purl off, knit on) that I lose track of where I am.  Apparently, there is a version of these socks that decreases the amount of grafting - maybe I'll have to try that at a later date.


4 comments:

  1. Take these legs down now... this is unacceptable... I will not allow the public to see these gorgeous lges

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are these, in fact, your feet? They are extremely attractive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. love the way
    they turned out...
    i have seen them
    with other colorways
    that didn't work
    very well
    but your's look
    amazing!
    so,
    what's the
    obsession
    with socks?
    isn't it too hot
    to wear socks
    down there?
    xo

    ReplyDelete