Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Malabrigo Monkeys

In the knitting world, there are some patterns that every self-respecting knitter knows by name: Clapotis, Fetching, Koolhaas, Swallowtail, etc.



Cookie A's sock pattern Monkey definitely falls into this category.  There are no monkeys to be found anywhere on these socks.  Apparently, they are so named because the designer was so obsessed that she wrote down the pattern just to get the monkey off her back.  Or something like that.



Pattern: Los Monos Locos by Jennifer O'Sullivan
an offshoot of the original pattern (think of fan fiction) that revises the sock to be knit toe up. Crazy!

Yarn: Malabrigo Sock (100% merino)
Colorway: Ochre
440 yards/skein (I used almost the entire skein for these mid-calf length socks)

Needles: US 1
I originally started with US2's but I wanted a tighter than normal gauge to ensure that these would wear well.

First off, I love this yarn.  It knits so beautifully.  Soft yet sturdy.  And the color is the most gorgeous earthy yellow.  I need more of it.  And yes, the pattern is obsession-worthy.  Once I had memorized the lace pattern, I found it intoxicating and hard to put down.

The heel construction was interesting.  There's short rows but no need to pick up stitches.  I've always thought short rows were kind of magical in a heel.  Not having to pick up stitches, that's earth-shattering.  Woo-hoo! 


But my favorite thing about the heel is the slipped stitch pattern called "Eye of Partridge." It's pretty.


Eye of Partridge:

Row 1: *sl 1, k1*, repeat
Row 2: knit all stitches if knitting in the round, purl if knitting back and forth
Row 3:* k1, sl 1*, repeat
Row 4: knit all stitches if knitting in the round, purl if knitting back and forth

Initially, I had some problems with it - there was a lot of ripping back because I kept getting the rows mixed up.  It's hard to tell visually whether or not I was supposed to slip the first stitch or knit it.  So I linked two of my stitch markers together (orange meant slip the first stitch of the row and green meant knit the first stitch) and just toggled the stitch markers when I slipped it for the all knit row.


Thus ends my little sock knitting adventure.  Three socks in June, spilled over a bit into July. Now it's Christmas in July.  Except I don't like to knit Christmas gifts - too much stress for a holiday I don't really celebrate anyway.  So I'll just knit birthday gifts instead... Besides, Yarn Widower's been asking for a pair of socks.

3 comments:

  1. oooh
    love the monkies!
    mine are yellow too.
    we are monkey
    twins.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kerrilyn, thanks for the love!

    Bugheart, your sunshine monkeys inspired me to make these. I can only hope one day to have your lovely wardrobe.

    ReplyDelete