Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Mrs. Truong

I like to adopt other people's parents.  Especially when they adopt me first.  My friend Susie's mom is a petite powerhouse of a Chinese matriarch.  Much like Susie, she's tiny yet formidable.

Susie and I have a running joke.  Everytime I see her mom, I give her a hug.  It's the least I can do to thank her for her warm hospitality and delicious food.  Susie always protests, "What are you doing? I don't even get to hug my mom."  But Mrs. Truong always hugs me back and gives me a big smile.  We both know what that smile means: she likes me because I am a good friend to her daughter and I like her because she is a good mother to my friend.  That and she makes a mean pho.

Lately, Mrs. Truong has had a relapse of her lymphoma.  After yet another bout of chemotherapy, she seems to be on the mend.  But it's been unseasonably cold here in Florida.  Floridians are ill-used to the prolonged chill of winter.  An over air-conditioned room set to 65 degrees, that we can handle.  But not two weeks of below 40 degrees.

Thankfully, as a recent refugee from the North, I still have a lot of wool in my stash.



Every Way Wrap by Okmin Park
from Interweave Knits Fall 2009
errata available here.

Jo Sharp Silk Road Aran (discontinued)
Wool, Silk, Cashmere
Color 132 Alabaster
7 skeins (93 yards per skein)

Needle size: US 10


I really loved knitting this wrap.  The cables are reversible so there's no wrong side.  And as the name suggests, it's very versatile.  Buttons keep the wrap from falling off the shoulders and if that's too fussy it can be a decent looking scarf too. 




It's also just the right size for a decent lap blanket.

A word of warning to any knitters attempting this pattern: check the errata.  The symbols for the cable pattern are misprinted.  I neglected to do this and spent a very frustrating day wondering why my cables looked so weird.

The wool/silk/cashmere blend worked well with this wrap.  My only suggestion is to weave in yarn ends in the cable section where it's much easier to hide them.  The moss stitch area is not so forgiving.



Hugs to Mrs. Truong.  And speedy recovery.

2 comments:

  1. you are truly a wonderful friend and an awesome knitter. I can only aspire....

    ReplyDelete