Monday, April 11, 2011

Koolhaats

I have a couple of projects going on right now but nothing ready for presentation.  And then I remembered that I had some gift knitting to report on.  Actually two gifts that have since been given. 


model: Yarn Widower


Pattern: Koolhaas by Jared Flood

Yarn: Rowan RYC Cashsoft Aran  (57% Merino, 33% Microfiber, 10% Cashmere)
1.5 skeins or approx 143 yards in Colorway SH 014

Needle size: US 6 & 8


Rem Koolhaas is a Dutch architect whose geometric designs are brilliantly displayed in the Seattle Public Library, the inspiration for this hat. 

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Seattle_Public_Library.jpg

This is a classic pattern.  One that can be appropriate for men and women.  Before starting, I learned how to cable without a cable needle and found this video very helpful.  This is a great technique for small cables - I think of it as simply re-ordering the stitches on your left needle prior to knitting or purling them. 


A lot of cables

Makes for a fun knit.  So  I made another one.

model:  me!

Yarn: Plymouth Yarn Royal Silk Merino (51% silk, 49% merino)
1.25 skeins or approx. 140 yards in colorway 0003

Needle size: US 6 & 8

Actually, I think my friend Ida models this one much better:

model: Ida Akiko Rock


http://idaakiko.blogspot.com/2011/02/cold-bright-days.html

1 comment:

  1. Sometimes Ida even takes the hat off her big head and lets me wear it!

    ReplyDelete