Tuesday, January 22, 2008

A Knotty Issue


Not knitty. I mean knotty. Why is it that every now and then I will come across a knot in a skein of yarn? The only reason I can come up with is this: the yarn company would lose money if they had to throw out any length of yarn that falls short of their stated skein length. So they knot these less-than lengths of yarn, skein it up, sell them full price and call the occasional knot an "industry standard."

Frankly, this irks me. I pay good money for a beautiful skein of yarn. I kind of expect the yardage stated on the label to mean uninterrupted length. Do I really hate weaving in ends? Yeah, that's part of it. But it's also the principle of the thing. 50 yards should mean 50 yards. Not 50 yards minus the 12 or so inches I'll need to weave in two extra ends per knot (not to mention the minor aggravation of doing so).

Maybe my frustration is misplaced. Maybe there's a good reason that I should expect a knot every now and then. Maybe the sheep labor union forbids the wasting of yarn thus necessitating knots in skeins. Humph. Blasted sheep.

No comments:

Post a Comment