Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Quackers

Whenever I show these to anybody, their faces light up and they can't help but smile.  Duck Feet Baby Booties.  C'mon, they're freaking adorable!


Pattern: Duck by Jeny Staiman in Knitty Spring/Summer 2010
Knitty is an awesome online knitting magazine that features free patterns

Yarn: Debbie Bliss Baby Cashmerino in colorway 340001 light yellow
1 skein (137 yards per 50g skein)

Needles: US 2

I had some previous experience with sock knitting (casting on for toe up, knitting in the round, turning the heel, etc) but never anything duck related.  This pattern taught me a few new tricks: Turkish Cast-on, Applied I-Cord and a new stretchy bind off.  Jeny's pattern is written beautifully.  Everything is straightforward and thoroughly explained.  I also loved that she had so many pictures to illustrate the various techniques and even provided links for further explanation.  All-in-all, a fun pattern to knit. 

Modifications:
For the toes, I kept getting gaps at the beginning of each cast-on row.  After a few tries, I found that casting on an extra loop and then knitting it with its neighbor tightened it up enough so that it no longer gapped.  Here's a close-up view of the toes.


My only other modification was to knit the applied i-cord along the side toes in one continuous cord (i.e. I started from one side toe, worked my way around back and then just continued to the other side toe).  This gave me two less ends to weave in.  (There are a lot of ends to weave in unfortunately).

 But look how cute.  


 For those who like to stand unsupported, Jeny has a toddler version available on her blog: Curious Knitter


They stay on pretty well - even on active crawlers.


Model:  Caden Violet (9 months) courtesy of Pat's Kids Modeling Agency, Inc.

1 comment:

  1. How totally adorable! (Both the socks and the toddler.) I've just added these to my queue. I'm not sure who I'll make them for, but they've just got to be knit.

    ReplyDelete