Thursday, April 15, 2010

Ballerina Cardi

One of Pat's grandkids is Ella St. Onge of Bridgeport, Connecticut.  For her second birthday, Ella came to Florida to celebrate with Grandma, Gramps, and various other relations.  I had met her only once before (when she was about 16 months) but we had bonded instantly.  She is, after all, a very charming young lady with discerning tastes.  I knew that any knitted gift would have to reflect her ladylike yet slightly sassy demeanor.

Behold, Ella's Ballerina Cardi


Pattern: Bow-Tied Bolero by Debbie Bliss from her book, Special Knits
but it's also available for free from here.

Yarn: Debbie Bliss Baby Cashmerino (55% merino, 33% microfibre, 12% cashmere)
137 yards per each 50 g ball
I used 3.5 balls for size 12-18 months (I can't remember why I sized down but I'm glad I did because the fit was just perfect).

Needle: US 6

Modifications:  I made the ties a lot shorter as I didn't want her tripping on them.  Since the gauge was 6.25 stitches to the inch, I figured that if I wanted the ties plus fronts to be a total of 12 inches, then I would cast on 75 stitches (instead of the 105 stitches that the pattern recommends for the 12-18 month size).




Ella put it on immediately and wore it for the momentous cake cutting ceremony.  I was quite honored to have such a fine up-and-comer wearing my knitwear.


The paparazzi instantly took notice and pursued her (and her handsome male companion) to the playground.

Ella and John (aka Grandpa)

Check out the fashion forward footwear!  Gold gladiator sandals - so on trend for spring!

Overall, I think everyone was happy with it.  I was happy: it was a fun knit (and quick too - love that about kiddy-wear).  Ella's mom and dad were happy: machine washable (yay!) but not dryer friendly (oh well, that's the price one pays for handknits). 

And what did Ella think?

1 comment:

  1. This is such an adorable sweater and Ella looked oh so pretty in it!!!

    ReplyDelete