Wednesday, June 8, 2011

My stars!

So I knit this top.


And at first, I got really excited because of its unique construction.  It's made from the center of the star outwards.



Pattern: #02 Star Camisole by Mary Lynn Patrick
Vogue Knitting Spring/Summer 2009

Yarn: Be Sweet Bamboo DK - 100% bamboo
7.5 skeins or approx 825 yards

Needle Size: US 5 for the center of the star and the ribbing
US 6 for the rest of the body



But then, it wasn't so great.  When I followed the pattern as written, the armholes hung down to my lower ribs.  After a few days of experimentation, I managed to engineer something.  Now that I look at other people's versions of this top, I  realize that perhaps the neckline should have been much higher and that would have helped my problem with the armholes. 



I ended up crocheting the edges of the straps to counteract the drapiness of the bamboo.  



It was interesting to knit but I'm not sure how much I'll wear it.  For whatever reason, I just don't feel all that comfortable in it.  I like how it looks on other people but I'm not so sure if I like how it looks on me.  I suppose that's one big problem about knitting a garment.  With store-bought items, you can always try things on before purchasing.  But with most hand knits, I'm never quite sure how the end product is going to look and feel before I commit to it.  C'est la vie. I can always frog it, n'est-ce pas?

2 comments:

  1. Wow, that is so beautiful!! I love the clever construction. You did an amazing job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You really worked that out. How about a light shirt under it?

    ReplyDelete